Thursday, January 11, 2007

Pass the ole' El Paso

Hey Guys,

Sorry for not posting sooner, but I am on the road and when I rolled into El Paso, I picked a specific hotel cause they had wireless Internet only to find their Internet was not working. They had 2 computers in their lobby and there was ALWAYS a wait to use them. Even at 6am in the morning there were 3 people waiting to use the computers there. Show you ow many people are now using Internet when they travel! Well, Now I'm in Phoenix, Az. and have a great Internet connection so here I am. Now a few of my observations:

San Antonio is a beautiful city. Even in January, they have tons of plants being maintained and the streets are clean and the riverwalk is just stunning. If you get the chance, go and spend some time there. I went to the Alamo and asked the lady behind the counter how many times she was asked about the basement since the PeeWee movie hit and she just rolled her eyes. They take their Alamo very seriously here, folks! No Photos and no LOUD talking. I saw her Shhhhish 2 ladies twice like a librarian! They feel the Alamo is a living memorial to those who died for Texas independence and they are VERY serious about it! I did get a fridge magnet in the gift shop and a bottle of "Alamo" water.....no joke. I also went up the "Tower of the Americas" which is the second largest free standing structure in the U.S. It was built for the "HemisFair" in 1968. You ever wonder why a Worlds fair must have a gigantic tower???? Maybe someone from Seattle or Toronto can answer that one for me.

Am I the only person in Texas who does NOT have a huge pickup??? or a huge HAT for that matter???? I sure felt like it

Don't ever run outta gas in West Texas. No, I didn't, but I saw people that did and I drove almost 600 miles and saw 2 police officers in that time. There is NOTHING on I-10 out there. The one BIG own between San Antonio and El Paso is Ft. Stockton, which is about 3000 people or so. Don't get me wrong, there are some majestic scenes of the Texas desert to view, just make sure you're viewing them from a running car heading towards some sort of civilization!

El Paso is built on the side of a mountain so it slopes upward. The stores are all built on levels, the store behind the one your in is almost one story higher and so on. the cool thing is when you walk out, you have an unobstructed view of the lights of Juarez< class="blsp-spelling-error" id="SPELLING_ERROR_14" onclick="BLOG_clickHandler(this)">Paso is not a vacation destination by any means, but if your there, drive up a few streets then look south, its really neat.

Today I left early and headed out to New Mexico. New Mexico is alot like Georgia in that there is alot of orange cones set up to look like construction, but it looked more like an excuse to charge people double the traffic fine. I think 50 of my 165 miles of New Mexico was driven at a snails pace of 45 MPH *The posted Construction zone speed limit* Since the speed limit in West Texas was 85, this was almost painful. Good thing I filled up in El Paso, I didn't even need to stop in New Mexico.

The desert of Arizona is also very beautiful. Large Boulders and rocks of different colors and a very well kept highway.

I Know what "The Thing" is and I ain't Talkin! http://www.roadsideamerica.com/attract/AZCOCthing.html

So now I'm in Phoenix. Went to Alice Cooper's restaurant "Alice Cooperstown" *Yes, Its right by the new ball park* Very good food, good music, and what looks like a very cool venue for a live gig. *Soulaz, get LiMBO to play here!*

So, Tomorrow I roll into L.a. I wanna stop and see the dinosaurs *You'll see* and I'll post some pics of my new place. Till then, keep reading!

B

3 comments:

Travis Cody said...

Great update dude!

Hey, chance of showers tomorrow in LA. Now doesn't that bite? Although it does say morning showers, so maybe it'll clear by the time you roll in.

Congrats!

Coco said...

Wow - what a great trip for you!

Vinny "Bond" Marini said...

Hey Bento... cool.. My brother lives in San Antonio... very nice city...